Sunday, October 19, 2008

Pompoodle vs Chicken...



VS









For anyone that's had something stolen, you'll know this feeling - where's the dog?

The food and water bowls gone, no dog happy to see me, feathers in the backyard.... something was amiss.

As it turns out the neighbours saw the little puffball causing havoc inside the chicken coup soon after I left for work! They took care of him for the day but said one of the chickens wasn't looking too good. There was only a little blood and it looked a little thirsty, but it wasn't until it raised it's head that I cringed.

After few quick calls I discovered all willing and sharp-knife owning friends were busy. I had advice though, do it quickly and make sure you've got a sharp knife if you're going to clean it....

To cut a semi-dramtic story short, the chicken is a metre deep and not in the fridge (my knife wasn't sharp enough).

It really did pain me to see the chicken in such a state. Strangely though, I felt better after it was dead! Killing wasn't enjoyable, but knowing it wasn't in pain made me feel much better about the situation. I know I wasn't attached to the chicken like a pet dog etc, but it does make me ponder over the realities of euthanasia...

Lessons:

1) Either train your dog very well, or have a bloody good fence!
2) Always have a sharp knife in the draw
3) Befriend your neighbours, you never know when you'll need them.


As for the garden, it's finally warming up and it looks like it's going to be a wet summer so I've just planted heaps!

Tomatoes, carrots, spinach, rocket, chives, corn, cucumber, various flowers (great for encouraging predatory bugs).

(The good old days)










1 comment:

Steven said...

I am buying some new knives so I will pass on my old ones on to you.. you will have to invest in a steel though and next time we do the chook's pay attention...

The meat of the chicken probably would have been dark and sticky anyway. The PH levels would have risen due to the stress of the attack and then the stress of trying not to die..